Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Halibut Cerviche

One awesome thing about living here is access to wild, fresh caught seafood. Sockeye salmon are starting to run here, and halibut fishing is starting to become active. I was lucky enough to be one of the recipients of several pounds of fresh halibut.


Hmmm… what to make?? Cerviche of course!


I cut a hunk – yes very scientific (probably close to 6oz.) – of halibut off on of the fletches I received, and then cut it up into small cubes. I juiced 2 limes over it, mixed it up and put it in the refrigerator overnight. Yesterday, when I got home from work, it looked like this:



The acid from the lime juice chemically cooks the meat. Cutting the fish into small cubes enables this process to happen consistently and quickly.



I diced on tomato, chopped up some cilantro and a ¼ of a medium sized onion (prefer red, only had white), added it to the halibut and mixed with the juice of another half a lime – I normally add one jalapeno, but forgot I had it, no matter – I’ll probably make this again before the week is out! Salt the mixture to taste and serve with tortilla chips or fry up some corn tortillas and serve on top. Mmmm mmm good!



For dessert we had the bread pudding I made a few days ago. I had a left over whole grain baguette I had made so I cut it into cubes, dried them overnight in the oven and then mixed up a basic custard out of eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla which was poured over and allowed to soak for several hours before baking.



I topped the slices with a bourbon (the whiskey, not the vanilla!) glaze. It was kinda like french toast on steroids!

No comments: