Saturday, November 29, 2008

A time to be thankful

This time last year, I was celebrating Thanksgiving with some people from work. My husband was still in Ohio and the rest of my family in North Carolina. I didn't think so much would change these past 12 months, I realize there is so much to be thankful for. My mother recovered 99% from a serious illness that almost took her life this past May. My husband finished his engineering degree, after 10 long years of going part time - a great accomplishment for him! Though we did so separately, we safely travelled back from Alaska, to settle back in Ohio since my husband found a really great job there when none could be found in AK (go figure in today's current economic climate.

I am thankful to be close to family again, to have the opportunity to interact with them in and out of the kitchen. I didn't realize until yesterday, that I truly missed being in charge of the family meals, and being able to stand beside my mother and cook this year, made it all the better.

Though my sister and her family couldn't make it to western NC for this holiday, they were with us in spirit. We enjoyed the traditional dishes of thanksgiving: Roasted turkey, stuffing with chestnuts and sausage, carmelized (overly so) yams, honey-glazed carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy, and for dessert, pumpkin roll!

I certainly hope everyone had a happy, joyous, entertaining Thanksgiving Day!


No comments: