Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Its CSA Time!

All last year I envied everyone in the lower 48 who talked about their CSA bounty from week to week. Fresh veggies and fruit were hard to come by in AK, and when they did make an appearance, they weren't wallet friendly.

Now that we are back in Ohio, I debated on joining a CSA (community supported agriculture) or planting my own garden. Weighing the pros and cons of both, we decided our money was better spent supporting a local farmer and getting a varied array of fruits and vegetables throughout the year.

I researched local farms on the Local Harvest website and came down to two choices. I like the idea of Crown Point Farm but they already were waitlisting for next year. They were closer, but ended up being costlier and had a work requirement (not that I am opposed to that, but the demands on my time during the summer are unpredictable). Shepherd's Fold Farm was a close second, and after some research about their farm and CSA program, I would have likely chose them anyways, as they also sell their own honey, pastured beef, lamb, and poultry in addition to their CSA program. The hubs and I chose a half share, and this week was our first pick up of the season.

In this week's basket we got:

Sorrel
Baby Lettuce
Radishes
Green Onions
1 Doz fresh eggs
Aloe
3 Cherry tomato plants
Rhubarb


Last night I mixed some of the baby lettuce, sorrel, and radish tops to some spinach we had.  Topped the salad with chopped red pepper, cubed fresh mozz, radishes, and peppered turkey :D.  This weekend I need to get a planter/pot for those tomatoes and get them planted!


No comments: